LBRY video streaming resolution

This is the forum to discuss your thoughts regarding video content including DT's videos, as well as other Linux-related or tech-related videos from other video content creators.
gaq

LBRY video streaming resolution

Post by gaq » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:31 pm

Due to spotty internet speeds in my area, I would ideally like to adjust the video resolution on LBRY streaming videos (i.e.720p or 480p instead of FHD).
I cannot seem to find such an option as yet on LBRY. Am I missing something?

DistroTube
Site Admin

Re: LBRY video streaming resolution

Post by DistroTube » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm

It is not possible to change resolution on LBRY right now. LBRY does not do any encoding itself. All it serves is the video exactly as the creator uploads it. So in my case, all my videos are 1080p60. A lot of LBRY users have requested that changing resolutions should be added and the LBRY guys are trying to figure out how/if they can implement this. But for now it's not possible.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 am

probably realy hard since it is distributed and well encoding requires crap ton of CPU/GPU time which not many would just donate to the lbry
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.

DistroTube
Site Admin

Post by DistroTube » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:20 am

bigpod wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 am
probably realy hard since it is distributed and well encoding requires crap ton of CPU/GPU time which not many would just donate to the lbry
Yea, already people gripe if a video takes longer than a couple of seconds to load. Adding encoding to the platform seems like more trouble than it's worth. But I don't watch videos on my phone that often. If I did, I might understand the frustration of having to download a 4K to watch on my phone.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:23 am

well load times would change because the encode or more correctly transcode would happen right after upload
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.