Which distro?

Are you a Linux noob? Afraid your questions will not be well-received in other forums? Ask your questions here. After all, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Well, almost.
LelsersLasers

Which distro?

Post by LelsersLasers » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Ok, I Know all distros can do all things but There are still differences. I am looking for a distro to replace windows. I am not done with it yet (still need it for some games), but I am trying to do everything else in Linux. I am pretty experienced in Linux (done Arch and stuffs, but hasn't everybody?). My computer is good and can run all, and I like the GNOME de (not the Ubuntu one, the default one), and I will not use anything Debian based. I will use it primarily for Coding (java, python, and c++) and I will keep windows in dual boot for games. I was thinking about Fedora and Manjaro. I won't use Arch (just no). Manjaro has the ability to install anything really easy and rolling updates, but can be unstable, and after using arch, there are somethings that I don't like the way they are done. Fedora, is stabler (is that true?) but still rolling-ish. But install things that aren't in the default repos (or fusion repos) is kind of a pain, and I am worried that all those rpm files in my downloads will stop working when I go to Fedora 32 (can someone explain how the package manager use the rpm files?). Any others I should look into? Thanks in advance, LelsersLasers

TheMatteo

Re: Which distro?

Post by TheMatteo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:30 pm

LelsersLasers wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:51 pm
Ok, I Know all distros can do all things but There are still differences. I am looking for a distro to replace windows. I am not done with it yet (still need it for some games), but I am trying to do everything else in Linux. I am pretty experienced in Linux (done Arch and stuffs, but hasn't everybody?). My computer is good and can run all, and I like the GNOME de (not the Ubuntu one, the default one), and I will not use anything Debian based. I will use it primarily for Coding (java, python, and c++) and I will keep windows in dual boot for games. I was thinking about Fedora and Manjaro. I won't use Arch (just no). Manjaro has the ability to install anything really easy and rolling updates, but can be unstable, and after using arch, there are somethings that I don't like the way they are done. Fedora, is stabler (is that true?) but still rolling-ish. But install things that aren't in the default repos (or fusion repos) is kind of a pain, and I am worried that all those rpm files in my downloads will stop working when I go to Fedora 32 (can someone explain how the package manager use the rpm files?). Any others I should look into? Thanks in advance, LelsersLasers
Well I'm not the best one to answer to your question, as I never used fedora for more than 3 days, because of compatibility problems with my laptop, but from what I've seen it's a pretty nice distro. From my pov, go with Manjaro. It always was far more stable on my hardware and it worked flawlessly for me like 95% of the times.
When you say yes I say no and when you say no I say yes. I think...

LelsersLasers

Post by LelsersLasers » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 am

Well I'm not the best one to answer to your question, as I never used fedora for more than 3 days, because of compatibility problems with my laptop, but from what I've seen it's a pretty nice distro. From my pov, go with Manjaro. It always was far more stable on my hardware and it worked flawlessly for me like 95% of the times.
Ok! This makes sense, also it is more standardized and you don't have to deal with .

archification

Post by archification » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:02 am

The main difference between distros would be the package manager that's used and the software that's available in the repos. The version of available software is also of concern to some people. I prefer Arch based distros for aur access. I've never had to manually add another repo ever. This is noob-friendly Linux discussions so I suppose I'd recommend manjaro in this case. It's arch with training wheels. Then when you're ready for pure arch, you can install over it.
I know you've said that there are some things in arch based distros that you don't necessarily like. Would you mind elaborating on what those issues might be?