What method/tools do you use to do backups?

A forum for general discussion about Linux. If it is about Linux, but does not seem to fit in any other forum, then this is probably the best place to post it.
Harry

What method/tools do you use to do backups?

Post by Harry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Personally I haven't got any backups for my arch system, however I know I should and would like to hear others thoughts on what they use to do so.
Also how often do you like to backup your system?

DistroTube
Site Admin

Re: What method/tools do you use to do backups?

Post by DistroTube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm

You will find that their are many methods for backing up, not all of them do the same thng. System snapshots with tools like Timeshift are an option. Backing up your documents to external drives or to the cloud is an option. Backing up your config files to GitHub/GitLab is an option as well.

kicks

Post by kicks » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:52 am

Harry wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm
Personally I haven't got any backups for my arch system, however I know I should and would like to hear others thoughts on what they use to do so.
Also how often do you like to backup your system?
Unfortunately for nix systems it seems backups are very much still a manual, thought out process. The best advice I can give is rysnc and/or dd images

thepenquin

Post by thepenquin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:59 pm

I use grsync gui

Really easy to set up and great to know you have backed up

thepenquin
The Penquin

slacker_101

Post by slacker_101 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:35 pm

I use rsync to back up my system. Average Linux user has a good tutorial on what flags to pass to rsync to be able to restore your system:
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=oS5uH0mzMTg

It's worked for me in the past

humanizer

Post by humanizer » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:20 pm

I have just written my own backup solution in Python (and still under development). The program reads an input file (/etc/backup_list). That file contains a list of the files and directories I want to backup. It also reads input where pack and save the files. And then i set up cron to run the backup automatically. Its simple but powerful because of the input system when it is possible to do multiple "sets" of filegroups and different locations where the backup should be saved.
Attachments
backitup.png
backitup.png (19.72 KiB) Viewed 309 times

bofhbob

Post by bofhbob » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 am

I regularly backup my local with clonezilla. For other backups, I use rsync to remote storage.

LowSpecLinuxLaptop

Post by LowSpecLinuxLaptop » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:11 am

I use grsync on my home folder to an external drive. Easy GUI and my files are readily available not dependent on backup softwarre

tuxito

Post by tuxito » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Hello,

To answer to the first question i use system snapshots (timeshift) for the system. I usually wait for the snapshot to be down to upgrade. So if something goes wrong, the snapshot is just few minutes before the problem.

For my personal data, i just have an old laptop (bought brand new back in the days with vista in it) and i just use ssh and rsync to put my data in it. To make my life easier i have, inside my home folder, a folder called 'backup' with several directories in it, such as: music, documents and this is not an exhaustive list.
In my home directories my music, documents (yadee yadee yada) are all symlinks pointing to the backup folder.

In the second laptop i simply have the 'backup' directory and i sync from my main machine to the second laptop.

I know i could do this with an external drive but i have this really old machine on hand so i use it with this very same purpose.
Penguins have been chicks and chicks have been eggs, newbie, be patient and practice and you'll be a linux power user some day.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:32 pm

i personaly do backups on my system by hand becuase most of the stuff i work on is on server anyway which has RAID(RAID IS NOT BACKUP) but im not that afraid of loosing most data what i am afraid of loosing i also keep on a USB harddrive. i would also like tonpoint out that what i am quite afraid of loosing is my code for which i use public VCS (normaly either github or azure devops(both microsoft products nowdays ;) ))but i also have my own local gitlab instance that all repositories on that get updated once a week via a script.

i personaly dont like system state/system wide backups that backup everything including OS while it is quite convinient it is in my opinion waste of HDD space
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.