What phones do you guys use?

This forum is for lighthearted, off-topic conversations that would not belong in our other forums. Topics should be safe for work and discussion should be civil. NOTE: Do not post politics or religion in this forum.
TheMatteo

What phones do you guys use?

Post by TheMatteo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:56 pm

Hey! I always wondered what phone does a hardcore Linux user use on a daily basis. I myself use pure android, however I became really really disappointed of it when a flight that I had booked showed up on my home screen saying that it takes off in 30 minutes, even though I never set any reminder and I didn't even open the email from the booking company, making me think that Google is reading my emails. Since then I switched to a different email provider, and I can confirm that the flights I have booked didn't show up on my home screen again :D
When you say yes I say no and when you say no I say yes. I think...

fossegrim

Re: What phones do you guys use?

Post by fossegrim » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I use the Moto G8.

I am not very experienced with Android though as this is my first one. Switched from iPhone 6. I love having a terminal and Linux environment on my phone + being able to easily install noen approved 3rd party software.
“Software is a gas; it expands to fill its container.”
— Nathan Myhrvold

Shithub: https://github.com/olav35
Tweeter: https://twitter.com/olebullsplass

mrgfy

Post by mrgfy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:01 am

I use the OnePlus One for hacking on. Originally dubbed "the flagship killer" and Kali linux's phone of choice when creating Kali Nethunter. I got one used online in perfect condition about a yr ago for $80. And let me tell you. I have flashed so many cool and unique Customs Android roms on this phone and it works every time. The community of rom and kernel devs is amazing, even with the OnePlus 7 out now; they are still making new Android 10 roms for this phone. If you guys have an extra $80-100 around and want a phone that you can mess with for a hobby, this is it. Check out xda-developers.com for more info into the crowd of geeks and hackers that mod phones. The list of roms the OnePlus One (code name: bacon) is huge and freakin' awesome. I can get dang near any linux distro to work on it, full gui desktop even. Not only all that cool stuff but Ubuntu even made a rom for this phone. So yea. This phone rocks.

slacker_101

Post by slacker_101 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:23 pm

I use an iPhone 7. I choose it over android only because I have some personal issues with Google as a company. However, I have an interest in the pine phone that's coming out. If I can get some of my proprietary applications to work on there, I'd switch to the pine phone.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm

i use huawai and nokia
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.

DistroTube
Site Admin

Post by DistroTube » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:22 am

Samsung Galaxy 10. I like the Samsung phones. They hold up well. But they aren't cheap.

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:13 am

I've been ecstatic about my One Plus One, but it's battery is getting pretty short lived (and every release since has been going up in price). I replaced it with an LG G6 that I was also very happy with except I thought it was a tad sluggish. As the charging port failed on it after 2 years, I ended up getting a Huawei P30 Pro which is available in Canada from multiple carriers. I think it's the best phone I've had, but not being able to root it and fix the proprietary software incessantly killing apps when the screen is off bothers me. I did have one Samsung, a Galaxy S4 and I will never buy another Samsung... But, that's me.

Eagerly awaiting the mainstream release of the PinePhone, I am looking forward to a true Linux phone where *I* have root. It's not a flagship, but I don't think I'll care.

Regards

Christian