So what is your preferred terminal emulator?

Learn how to get things done via command line. Why use a graphical user interface when a command line interface can do many of the same tasks faster.

Your preferred terminal emulator

xterm
7%
urxvt
10%
termite
10%
st
33%
kitty
3%
alacritty
3%
konsole
7%
gnome-terminal
17%
terminator
3%
other
7%

Total votes: 30

DistroTube
Site Admin

So what is your preferred terminal emulator?

Post by DistroTube » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Surely everyone has a terminal emulator that they prefer for one reason or another, whether it be better unicode support, tab support, less resource usage, etc. I've been happy in st but admit that having to patch it to add features you want is a bit of a pain at first. Also, if you like tabs in a terminal, st doesn't have tabs but suckless makes a program called tabbed that works with any program, st included.

Trigex

Re: So what is your preferred terminal emulator?

Post by Trigex » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:35 pm

DistroTube wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:40 pm
Surely everyone has a terminal emulator that they prefer for one reason or another, whether it be better unicode support, tab support, less resource usage, etc. I've been happy in st but admit that having to patch it to add features you want is a bit of a pain at first. Also, if you like tabs in a terminal, st doesn't have tabs but suckless makes a program called tabbed that works with any program, st included.
If one doesn't want to really mess with patching St too much, /ourguy/ Luke has it covered 8-) https://github.com/lukesmithxyz/st
Pretty solid config, you don't need to do much to it at all!
ImageImage

kicks

Post by kicks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm

DistroTube wrote:
I actually don't have a preference. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I can reach the tools I need to reach. I can't say I have every been able to see the difference between them (or just never cared to find out) besides little niceties. I use Konsole specifically because it has the "copy to all tabs" option which is useful some times.

...Also don't call me Shirley...

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:42 am

My terminal emulator of choice is gnome-terminal did use urxvt for a while but one thing or an9ther lead me back to gnome-terminal
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.

fossegrim

Post by fossegrim » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 pm

kicks wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 pm
DistroTube wrote:
I actually don't have a preference. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I can reach the tools I need to reach. I can't say I have every been able to see the difference between them (or just never cared to find out) besides little niceties. I use Konsole specifically because it has the "copy to all tabs" option which is useful some times.

...Also don't call me Shirley...
Hey Shirley

One key difference between different terminal emulators is their ability to display images. If you want to display images with a program such as ranger you have a limited choice of terminals which will work correctly.
“Software is a gas; it expands to fill its container.”
— Nathan Myhrvold

Shithub: https://github.com/olav35
Tweeter: https://twitter.com/olebullsplass

DistroTube
Site Admin

Post by DistroTube » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 pm

fossegrim wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 pm
One key difference between different terminal emulators is their ability to display images. If you want to display images with a program such as ranger you have a limited choice of terminals which will work correctly.
Another feature a lot of terminals lack is ligature support.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:50 pm

DistroTube wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 pm
fossegrim wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 pm
Another feature a lot of terminals lack is ligature support.
yea those 2 are features that mainly diferentiate different terminals besides tabs. and all 3 are features i dont realy care a lot about
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.

PythonLover

Post by PythonLover » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm

I just stick with xterm mostly. It's usually already on the system anyway.. I don't need anything fancy.

TheJooomes

Post by TheJooomes » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:25 pm

I saw st was the most popular here, so I thought I might try it. It ended up being the first application I successfully compiled from source, that was kinda fun.

slacker_101

Post by slacker_101 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 pm

TheJooomes wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:25 pm
I saw st was the most popular here, so I thought I might try it. It ended up being the first application I successfully compiled from source, that was kinda fun.
st was the first program that I learned to use git for version control with, and also how to use patch and diff. These suckless tools teach you a lot.