What operating system do you use for servers?

This forum is for the discussion of Linux in the server space. Having trouble setting up your web server? Is configuring sendmail driving you mad? Post about it here.
bigpod

What operating system do you use for servers?

Post by bigpod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 pm

I use Proxmox as a base server. It is based on debain with main focus on virtualisation. Then i add on it few VMs like ubuntu server VM, arch server VM, soon to have fedora server VM.

this is on linux side.
Use whatever tool makes your job easier.

DistroTube
Site Admin

Re: What operating system do you use for servers?

Post by DistroTube » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:42 pm

Looks like your run everything but a Windows server. :lol:

Used to go to either CentOS or Debian for servers. These days, Ubuntu has gotten quite good so I just default to Ubuntu LTS. But Arch as a server does intrigue me.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:06 am

even ocasional windows server will find a place among my VMs kinda becuase AD is great even for linux services like nextcloud gitlab and such

i run arch for packaging AUR packages even tho couple of times i planned on putting everything there but wanna stay current on ubuntu and fedora

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 am

A question DT what are you using for a backend of your site i know its not self hosted but are you using AWS like for videos or are you using some other provider

DistroTube
Site Admin

Post by DistroTube » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:44 am

bigpod wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 am
A question DT what are you using for a backend of your site i know its not self hosted but are you using AWS like for videos or are you using some other provider
I'm using Amazon s3 for the video hosting. Over 2TB of video and will grow even larger. So it's the only storage that really made sense.

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am

what are you using for website hosting

DistroTube
Site Admin

Post by DistroTube » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 pm

bigpod wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:45 am
what are you using for website hosting
I'm using SkySilk. Been using them for a couple of years now for cheap VPS hosting. Easy to quickly spin up a server (or delete them) as needed. My gopher server and my Nextcloud server are hosted there as well.

Trigex

Post by Trigex » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:33 pm

I use Ubuntu Server on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+, because it's one of the most just werks server operating systems in my opinion, especially with snaps. You can take any popular piece of web software that can be a pain in the neck to configure and get working right with little effort (Let's take Nextcloud, for example), and just

Code: Select all

sudo snap install nextcloud
configure the ports it listens on, reverse proxy to it from your web server, done! You won't get something as nice a that in any other server environment.

On my Raspberry Pi 1 B+, I run FreeBSD, it's hilariously slow on it so I don't do much with it. I should install Pi-hole on that or something.
ImageImage

kicks

Post by kicks » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:38 pm

bigpod wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 pm
I use Proxmox as a base server. It is based on debain with main focus on virtualisation. Then i add on it few VMs like ubuntu server VM, arch server VM, soon to have fedora server VM.

this is on linux side.
There is a paid and a free version of proxmox right? Which are you using and what is the difference between the two? For some reason I feel like I remember using it in the past and the free version didn't get updates or something...

bigpod

Post by bigpod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:27 am

Free version has faster updates that are less tested or not tested and no support